Design Inspiration: Ancient Indian Proverb

Sunday, January 26, 2014


Words of wisdom can inspire great design. Let’s explore how this Ancient Indian Proverb can come to life in a home.

“Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.”

When it comes to decorating your home, you naturally want it to look great. It's also important that it feels right to you. Adding items that have personal meaning is what makes your home...your home. Those items are what remind you of who you are, those you love and adventures you've had. 

Certainly not every item in your home will have a significant story to tell. It's about finding the right balance between eye-catching and heart warming and aiming for more than meets the eye. 


Here are a few examples of items in my home that have a lot of meaning to me.
My grandparents enjoyed their cocktails. I think that's where 
got my love for green olives ;) They had this sign on display in 
their kitchen, and now it's in mine. Sometimes when I look at it, 
I swear I can smell gin.

This item from Target reminds me exactly of the sea 
urchins my husband and I saw all the time while snorkeling on our 
honeymoon in Tortola.


    In her short 27 years, my cousin Lauren saw more of the world
    than most of us ever will. She brought this vase back from Nicaragua. 

    My high school sweetheart was extremely talented at woodworking.
    He made me this turned bowl inspired by an underwater photo I took
    in the Bahamas. 


    My mom, sister and I visited Chicago last fall and stopped by the
    Randolph Street Market. I picked up this one-of-a-kind bench made from
    old skis. It reminds me of my husband's and my love for skiing and the fun
    times my mom, sister and I always have when we go to Chicago.

    My dad and grandpa owned a small manufacturing company.
    These were patterns they somehow used to cast specialty machine parts.
    I have them hanging in our bedroom as unique art pieces.

    Take a look around your home and see what stories your items on display have to tell. If you find there's not much to them other than looking nice, consider adding a few things that carry more meaning. To me, that's the best way to feel more at home in your own home. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment